Sunday, November 13, 2011

Mt. Tabor A.D.U.






This project is the most satisfying I've done so far on my own. My contact Mike Banker, who has referred me to nearly all my side jobs, called me about this project a couple of years ago.

Initially, this project was to be a main level complete remodel with no additions. However, the couple decided the plan didn't meet their space goals and it wasn't financially feasible. Mike called me in the spring of 2011 to tell me the project was back on and that it was now going to be an Accessory Dwelling Unit addition to the original house.

Program-wise it's pretty simple. They wanted a one bedroom space that had a small kitchenette with room for storing cold dark microbrews, a bath, living space, storage and a large outdoor patio that was partially covered from the weather and the rising sun in the east. The form was to be a shed with vaulted ceilings throughout the interior. Clerestory windows and two smaller 'green' roofs were also asked for, one for the small roof at the patio and one for the garden shed. The patio and stairs, as well as the separate entry stairs, were all to be site-poured concrete.

The couple also wanted the A.D.U. to be at the same level as the main floor of the existing residence, which is about 3'-0" above grade. A separate entry to the A.D.U. is on the north side of the addition if the homeowners decide to rent the unit in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment